Visa extension

The long-term residence permit can be prolonged for two years maximum. The length of the permit depends on the length or hosting agreement/contract. You can apply for the extension 60 days in advance at the earliest and one day before the expiration day at the latest.

In order to prolong the residence permit, you need to have:

  • A travel document (passport)
  • Hosting Agreement (provided by FNUSA-ICRC)
  • a written commitment by the research organisation that it will cover the costs relating to your residence as researcher in the Czech Republic after the residence permit expires (provided by FNUSA-ICRC)
  • Proof of Accomodation (nostrified) /rental contract (does not have to be nostrified) – provided by your flat landlord
  • Stamp (kolek) in the amount of 2500 Kč – possible to buy at the immigration office on the first floor at the end of the hall or at the post offices
  • A completed application form (green) – ticked extension of validity column
  • Extension of the Employment Contract (original)

To get an appointment at the immigration office, you can either do it online at or by calling to +420 543 213 313 or +420 543 214 316. More information about the visa extension for you and your family can be found here Long-term residence – Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic (


Relevant additional info:

Covid-19 situation information for foreigners:

Visa fees – prices differ depending on nationality, type of visa, length of stay:

Status of your visa application can be verified here: