Registration with the Foreign Police – registration after arrival

All foreigners (both EU citizens and those from countries outside the EU) are legally obliged to register their place of accommodation with the Foreign Police. EU citizens and their family members must register their place of residence in the Czech Republic with the Foreign Police within 30 days. Foreigners from countries outside the EU and EFTA must register with the Foreign Police within 3 working days of arrival.

Here in Brno, the Foreign Police is located at 2 addresses: Cejl 62b, 602 00 Brno or Tuřanka 115b, 627 00 Brno. Just bring your passport or national identity card with you and fill in a short form. No additional documentation is required. Make sure you know your exact address and the name of the accommodation provider. Once you have registered with the Foreign Police, you need to visit the Immigration Office (the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy – OAMP).

Residence card and the Immigration Office

Foreigners from countries outside the EU/EFTA arriving with a visa sticker that allows them to enter the country and receive a residence card upon arrival (long-term residence for the purpose of scientific research) must visit the Immigration Office of the Ministry of the Interior (OAMP) within three days of arrival to collect their residence/biometric card.

EU citizens may – but do not have to – apply for temporary residence (Certificate of temporary residence) at the Immigration Office; their family members from countries outside the EU can apply for a Temporary Residence Permit at the same office.

Once you have your residence card, be sure to report any changes to your residence address, name, marital status or purpose of residence within 30 days. Also, remember to apply for an extension in time – 120 to 0 days before the expiry of any long-term residence permits. The Brno branch of the Immigration Office of the Ministry of the Interior is located at Tuřanka 115b, 627 00 Brno. To save much of the waiting time, please make an appointment by calling 974 801 801 or visiting For more information on residence cards, please visit the Immigration Office website: Informace pro cizince – Ministerstvo vnitra České republiky (

For information on Czech residence permits, please visit the Ministry of the Interior website or refer to the simplified document here. 

Health insurance and medical care

Valid health insurance is one of the legal requirements for staying in the Czech Republic. The Foreign Police may require proof of health insurance as a necessary requirement for your legal residence. As an employee of the FNUSA-ICRC, you will be covered by Czech public health insurance, and you will be provided with medical care free of charge. For additional information on the benefits of employment not only at the FNUSA-ICRC, see here.

Waste collection fee

All foreigners who intend to stay in Brno for more than 3 months are obliged to pay the waste collection fee. The waste fee is payable annually by the end of May, and it covers the current year. Registration and payment can be made online via 

Car registration

If you want to use your vehicle in the Czech Republic for more than 185 days, the vehicle you have brought must be registered in the Czech Republic. This can only be done in person at the Brno Transport Department. For that, you need to have a biometric card and a “birth number”. Prior to registration, a technical roadworthiness inspection must be carried out and a limited liability insurance must be taken out. For more information, see here (only in Czech). 

Driving licence

If you have a valid driving licence issued by a foreign country, you may drive in the Czech Republic using that driving licence only (if it has been issued according to EU standards) or with your licence plus an additional international driving licence (if your licence has not been issued according to EU standards) until the end of the year of validity of the relevant documents. If you want to replace, renew or apply for a Czech driving licence, you must prove that you have been residing in the Czech Republic for more than 185 days. For more information, see here (only in Czech). 

Tax return

Being an employee imposes various obligations both on you and your employer. The deadline for filing an income tax return for the previous fiscal (=calendar) year is 1 April. Taxes are only paid once a year. At the FNUSA ICRC, we will be happy to help you with your tax return and complete it for you, or we can recommend online tutorials in English to guide you safely through the process. 

Czech phone number

Buying a prepaid card is usually a good short-term option. If you are not sure whether you will stay in the Czech Republic for more than a few months, we recommend starting with a prepaid (“pay as you go”) card.

If your stay is extended, it may be cheaper to pay for a monthly plan. The standard contract term is 2 years.

We recommendation starting with a prepaid card during your probationary period, and once you know which carrier you want to use, migrating your number to a monthly plan. It is an easy transition under the same provider. It is also possible to change providers and keep the same number without any problem, it just takes longer for the change to take effect. Any provider you choose should guide you through the process.

The major providers are Vodafone, T-Mobile and O2. You can explore their offers and price lists to see if they suite your specific needs and choose accordingly. Each provides customer care in English.

Each provider has multiple shops around the city. Bring your passport and an additional identity document (driving licence or national identity card). Also, prepare to present your residence permit (unless you are an EU citizen). Some providers may also require your tenancy agreement.

Check the term of the contract (usually 24 months) and the penalty you would have to pay for early termination. In the contract, the fee is usually described using a complex mathematical formula, with no specific numbers. Ask for a specific example, e.g. what happens if I want to terminate my contract after six months. 

Bank account in the Czech Republic

The Czech banking sector is well developed and stable. There are large international banks that offer a wide range of products and pride themselves on their experience and stability, but their fees may be y little higher (Raiffeisenbank, ČSOB, Česká Spořitelna, Komerční banka, etc.). If you are looking for low fees and do not need any special services, consider one of the low-cost banks (Equa, Fio, mBank, etc.).

Banks with an English website/application: Raiffeisenbank, ČSOB, Česká Spořitelna, Komerční banka, Equa, Fio. Before going to the bank, call a Brno-based branch in advance to make an appointment with an English-speaking bank officer.

Once you have chosen a bank that suits you, visit any of its offices in Brno and open an account. Or better still, call the nearest office in advance and make an appointment with an English-speaking officer. Some banks allow you to open a bank account online.

To open an account, you will need two identity documents – your passport and an additional identity document (driving licence or a similar document). An official residence permit, employment contract or student card may also be required, so make sure to take these with you. When opening a current account, many banks require a deposit (usually between CZK 100 and CZK 1 000). As most banks send an authorisation code to your mobile phone to confirm online banking transactions, it is important to have a working Czech phone number. 

In the Czech Republic with family

Are you moving to the Czech Republic with your family? If so, be sure to check with the embassy and ask for information about long-term residence for the purpose of family reunification if you are a third-country national. If you are an EU national, you only need to apply for temporary residence for your family members. However, be sure that all family members who will be staying with you in the Czech Republic are listed in the accommodation contract. In addition, information about the Czech Republic’s education system and leisure activities both in and outside Brno may also be useful for you.

If you find yourself in an adverse life situation, there is no need to worry. The Czech Republic has a very good social system that will take care of you.