From 29 to 31 January hosts the International Clinical Research Center of St. Anne’s University Hospital Brno (FNUSA-ICRC) experts in sleep medicine. The ESADA (European Sleep Apnea Database) meeting of the European Sleep Research Society will focus on the issues we all have associated with rest and gaining new strength.
People spend about a third of their lives sleeping, and sleep is one of the basic human needs as well as food and drink. It fundamentally affects the overall health of a human. Almost everyone has experienced a short-term sleep disorder at least once in their lifetime, and up to a third of the population suffers chronically. 35 experts from 16 countries are debating research into the quality of sleep and its effect on various health complications.
FNUSA-ICRC is represented by prof. MUDr. Ondřej Ludka, Ph.D., head of the Sleep Medicine research team. “FNUSA-ICRC sleep laboratories are among the most modern not only in the Czech Republic, but also in Europe. We can examine almost eight hundred patients a year, but the demand for examination is much higher. In addition to the classic diagnosis of a sleep disorder, called sleep apnea, or sleep apnea, we also examine the effect of sleep disorders on the onset and development of cardiovascular disease. We also cooperate with other research teams; last month, for example, we were the first in the Czech Republic to examine a patient with achondroplasia, ”described Professor Ludka’s activities.
FNUSA-ICRC joined the ESADA project in 2017 and has been one of the largest contributors to this important European database since then. “Almost forty research centers are cooperating on the database, not only from Europe, and so far it contains data on more than thirty thousand patients. We use data from the register for research and to improve the quality of care for our patients. ESADA also serves as a platform for sharing experiences and knowledge between individual research centers, “added Ludka.
ADVICE from prof. MUDr. Ondřej Ludka FOR BETTER SLEEP – RULES OF SLEEP HYGIENE:
– It is not advisable to drink coffee, black or green tea, cola or various energy drinks about 4-6 hours before going to bed. It is also not appropriate to drink alcohol, which impairs the quality of sleep.
– It is advisable to skip heavy meals in the evening, the last meal should be 3-4 hours before going to bed.
– In the evening, we should not deal with important things that may upset us.
– A light walk after dinner can improve sleep, on the contrary, greater physical activity before going to bed (3-4 hours) can already disrupt sleep.
– It is also advisable not to smoke, especially before falling asleep and during night awakenings.
– Both the bed and the bedroom should only be used for sleep and sexual life.
– In the sleeping room it is advisable to minimize noise and light, it is also advisable to fall asleep at a temperature of 18 – 20 ° C.
– We should go to bed and get up at about the same time every day (even on weekends).
– We should not spend unnecessary time in bed, the bed is used for sleeping, not for thinking or rolling.