METABOLISM AND AGING
Understanding epigenetics for healthy aging
Manlio Vinciguerra, Ph.D., MSc
Phone: +420 511 158 277
Epigenetics, Nutrition, Gastrointestinal Cancers, Aging, Immunity, Hematopoietic Stem Cells.
- To study how large histone variants called macroH2A1.1 and macroH2A1.2, splicing isoforms of macroH2A1, function as energy sensors and oncogenes in many cancer types and during induced pluripotent stem cells reprograming.
- To understand the role of a rejuvenating factor, identified through parabiotic screening called Growth Differentiation Factor 11 (GDF11) in nutrient metabolism in mice.
- Study of the variants of epigenetic enzyme SIRT6, which are involved in longer lifespan, as encountered in Ashkenazi Jews.
- Study the epigenetic macroH2A1 isoforms and DNA-damage components of endothelial cells reprograming into induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC).
- Uncovering the side effects of the „youth factor“ GDF11 in obese mice and humans.
- Dissect the role of longevity-associated mutants of SIRT6 in hepatic metabolism.
- Laboratory equipment for cell sorting, analysis, tissue characterization:
- Flow cytometer
- Cell sorter
- Multiphoton microscope
- Magnetic cell separator – mastering the complexity of cell processing
- Automatic cell analyzer
- Confocal laser scanning microscope suited for live imaging
- Laser microdissection microscope with PALM microbeam system
- PCR and real-time PCR system